Copyright and Media Law
In light of the digital transformation and changes in the way we use media, the need to protect creative achievements is more important than ever. Not only traditional media businesses, but increasingly also start-ups and companies from the telecommunications, technology and software industries rely on a broad spectrum of options for exploiting media. This in turn increases the need for legal expertise in copyright and media law.
Our specialised lawyers have been successfully advising and representing a wide variety of companies and stakeholders on issues of copyright and media law for many years. Whatever the client’s needs, we accompany them at every stage of the process – from conception and development to their finished product, including all distribution channels. Whether clients want to exploit their individual work, draft national or international licensing and R&D agreements, or secure their licensing strategies from a legal perspective, we have the right solution.
As experts for our clients on copyright and media law contracts, we cover all legal issues relating to the production, exploitation and use of content such as texts, images, software, databases and streaming services. We also advise clients on liability issues regarding their own or third-party content on internet platforms, as well as on ensuring that their use of social media – such as Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and TikTok – complies with the law.
Together with our clients, we develop corporate policies for dealing with copyrighted content and support the establishment and implementation of digital business models and legally compliant online sales activities.
With our interdisciplinary teams, we offer unique added value. Since they are experts in a range of fields, our lawyers also know when it’s time to consider legal issues in the related areas of data protection, IT and competition law. This often involves partnering with national and international stakeholders – so it goes without saying that we can draft all contracts in German or English. If necessary, we will also rigorously pursue your claims in court on your behalf or defend you against lawsuits.
What we offer
We are at your disposal for the following questions and topics:
• Advice on new forms of exploitation in digital media
• Advice on all matters of copyright law, e.g. drafting and negotiating national and international licensing and R&D agreements
• Developing licensing strategies
• Laws governing collective management organisations
• Assertion and defence of copyright claims both in and out of court
• Creation of corporate policies for dealing with copyrighted content
• Content marketing, influencer marketing
• Advising internet platforms on questions of liability for their own and third-party content
• Advice on ensuring that your own corporate identity is legally compliant
• Advice on new forms of communication and social media such as Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and TikTok
• Drafting of standard business terms (terms and conditions) and terms of service for online contexts
• Purchase and marketing of online ad space
• Model release agreements, image use, photo databases, stock photos
• Advice on open-source software, user-generated content, notice and take down processes and hate speech laws
• Preparation, negotiation and review of cooperation agreements with publishers, advertisers and media agencies, and of mobile and online marketing agreements
• Advice and assistance in the creation of social media guidelines
• IT law
• Competition law
• Trade mark law
• Clarification of rights for new TV and OTT services
• Clarification of rights for non-linear forms of use (instant restart, catch-up, network PVR, etc.)
• Preparation and review of advertising contracts, sponsorship agreements and licensing agreements
• Advice on distribution via cable, IP and satellite, cable retransmission
• Advice on matters involving sponsorship, advertising, product placement and branded entertainment
• Advising companies on protecting their reputation in disputes with search engines, booking and rating portals
• Reputation management, crisis communication and crisis management
• Laws on public reporting (text and photojournalism)
• Advice and representation when defending the right to freedom of expression
• Defence against claims under press law, both in and out of court
• German State Treaty on Games of Chance and sweepstake statutes
Do you have any questions about our services? Our lawyers will be pleased to help you.